Orwell rocks to festival
ORWELL rocked to the sound of 16 live bands at the first Orfest music festival. Orfest took place in the medieval clunch pit – a natural amphitheatre located in the village – and featured an eclectic mix of salsa, folk, rock, and blues music. The festiv
ORWELL rocked to the sound of 16 live bands at the first Orfest music festival.
Orfest took place in the medieval "clunch pit" - a natural amphitheatre located in the village - and featured an eclectic mix of salsa, folk, rock, and blues music.
The festival was held to raise money for Orwell football club.
Organiser Phil Grant said: "Orwell Football Club was given the opportunity to run the Clunch Pit BBQ, an annual event that has been held in Orwell for many years.
"We used this opportunity to launch an idea called Orfest - a music festival to support and celebrate local musical talent in the village."
More than 450 people attended and witnessed performances from local bands such as Impromptu, Descargo Caribe, and Blue Yonder.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
Mr Grant said: "We wanted to raise some funds to keep the football club going and to start a junior team providing an opportunity for boys and girls to play locally and bring on younger players for the future of the club.
"We also thought that a musical festival was needed to engage all different groups in the village, break down social barriers, and celebrate some of the great local musical talent that we have here.
"We'd like to thank all the volunteers and sponsors involved.