Orwell ready for village show
A CELEBRATION showcasing the best a Crow country village has to offer is set to mark its sixth anniversary on Saturday.
The Orwell Show runs from midday to midnight and features competitions, displays, live music and a market selling local produce – with the barbecue even stocking a specially produced Orwell Show sausage.
Organiser Rachel Talbot said: “It’s a great fun day out and there is something for everyone with a variety of different events planned throughout the day.
“There is a free bouncy castle for kids and local beers and produce.”
She added: “In the last six years it has developed into more of a village show, the horticultural show has been going for 42 years.
“We have developed the village show which raises money village clubs and societies can put a bid in for. The money raised by the show is recycled into the community.”
Entrants will be pitted against each other in the Orwell and District Horticultural Competition and the Orwell Dog Show.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
- 10 Double murderer Ian Stewart has whole life order reduced
A shire horse display, music from the Cottenham Brass Band, JezO’s magic show, sheep display, and a dog agility display is also lined up to entertain visitors.
There will also be a free bouncy castle, a display of vintage cars and tractors and the largest ever Orwell pannier market, with over 30 stalls selling local produce.
Local ales will also be available at a licensed bar which is open until late.
To round off the day Orwell’s very own local band the Retro Rebels will be performing in the marquee followed by a disco until midnight.
Orwell Recreation ground hosts the event with gates opening at midday.