Orwell-based Nolans fan who tours country inspired to raise money for breast cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Orwell is set to raise money for a cancer charity in memory of both her grandmother and the lead singer of her favourite girl group – Bernie Nolan.
Kirsten Bailey, who has followed the Nolan sisters round the country, went to a ball in memory of the singer in March – and was inspired to host her own fundraiser.
Bernie, who rose to fame as a singer in the band The Nolans, also starred in Brookside and The Bill and performed as Mrs Johnstone in the musical Blood Brothers.
After first being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010, she died in 2013 at the age of 52.
Kirsten, who has named one of her cats Mo after Maureen Nolan, said: “I’m a fan of all the girls, and I’ve met them each time I’ve seen them.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve toured the country, and have been all the way up to Newcastle to see them, and back again in a day.
“All the Nolan sisters are so down to earth. They are just normal people.”
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
The 26-year-old will also be raising money in memory of her grandmother Megan Leeds, who died of ovarian cancer and was passionate about finding a cure for all cancers.
Kirsten will hold the fundraiser – which will include refreshments, a tombola and name the teddy bear – at Orwell Pavilion in Town Green Road between 2.30pm and 4.30pm on Wednesday, June 22, to raise money for Breast Cancer Now.
The Nolans formed in 1974 and are best known for their hit I’m in the Mood for Dancing.
To find out more about the charity, visit breastcancernow.org.