Orwell-based Nolans fan who tours country inspired to raise money for breast cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Orwell is set to raise money for a cancer charity in memory of both her grandmother and the lead singer of her favourite girl group – Bernie Nolan.
Kirsten Bailey, who has followed the Nolan sisters round the country, went to a ball in memory of the singer in March – and was inspired to host her own fundraiser.
Bernie, who rose to fame as a singer in the band The Nolans, also starred in Brookside and The Bill and performed as Mrs Johnstone in the musical Blood Brothers.
After first being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010, she died in 2013 at the age of 52.
Kirsten, who has named one of her cats Mo after Maureen Nolan, said: “I’m a fan of all the girls, and I’ve met them each time I’ve seen them.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve toured the country, and have been all the way up to Newcastle to see them, and back again in a day.
“All the Nolan sisters are so down to earth. They are just normal people.”
- 1 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 4 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 5 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 MP 'delighted' at Barley speed camera action
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
The 26-year-old will also be raising money in memory of her grandmother Megan Leeds, who died of ovarian cancer and was passionate about finding a cure for all cancers.
Kirsten will hold the fundraiser – which will include refreshments, a tombola and name the teddy bear – at Orwell Pavilion in Town Green Road between 2.30pm and 4.30pm on Wednesday, June 22, to raise money for Breast Cancer Now.
The Nolans formed in 1974 and are best known for their hit I’m in the Mood for Dancing.
To find out more about the charity, visit breastcancernow.org.