Organisers appeal for swimmers
ORGANISERS of a charity swimathon at Royston Leisure Centre are hoping that more than 200 people will be taking part. The event organised by the Rotary Club of Royston is hoping to raise more than £5,000. Money from the event will be donated to the Garden
ORGANISERS of a charity swimathon at Royston Leisure Centre are hoping that more than 200 people will be taking part.
The event organised by the Rotary Club of Royston is hoping to raise more than £5,000.
Money from the event will be donated to the Garden House Hospice in Letch-worth, the East Anglian Air Ambulance and The House, the drop-in centre for teenagers in Royston.
It is hoped that 36 teams of six swimmers will take part in the event which will run on the evenings of Saturday, October 14 and Sunday, October 15.
Rotary spokesman David Williams said: "The initial response has been encouraging, but there is room for more teams."
Swimathon teams will be set the challenge of swimming as many lengths as possible in 55 minutes and are sponsored for the number of lengths completed.
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 3 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Royston Scouts raise money to attend jamboree in Korea
- 7 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 8 Reed's National Village Cup hopes ended in nail-biting finale
- 9 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 10 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
"You don't have to be an excellent swimmer to take part," said Mr Williams.
n Anyone interested in taking part can call Jim Webb on 01763 838208 or visit at www.roystonrotary.org.uk