Ooh arr! Young pirates swarm into Royston for fun day
- Credit: Clive Porter
Pirates swarmed into Royston on Saturday for the town’s annual pirate day.
Despite the rain, pirates organised a host of activities to entertain scores of budding shipmates all day, including walk the plank, and a meet and greet with Pete the Pirate.
Young pirates also got to take part in the treasure trail, complete with treasure map and clues which led them around the town centre to discover the hidden treasure. and visitors were encouraged to don their best rags, and eyepatches for the fancy dress competition.
Royston town manager Geraint Burnell said: “The ever-increasing numbers participating in this event each year really speaks for itself.
“My personal opinion was that this year we offered the best variety of activities to date – an opinion clearly shared by the public who contributed comments such as ‘best yet’ and ‘absolutely brilliant!’”
You may also want to watch:
Thanks are expressed by organisers Royston First to Sally’s team from Retail Revival, and to Hitchin Property Trust for the loan of their retail unit. The fancy dress photo gallery of 60 competitors will be in the window of number 53 High Street for the next week.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone