On your marks, it’s time for sporty speed dating for Royston volunteers
- Credit: Archant
Royston Volunteer Centre manager Denise Graham’s regular look at the voluntary sector in North East Herts
With Valentine’s weekend coming up, why not make a date with a local sports club to find out more about what they do and how they involve volunteers?
Speed dating has become increasingly popular as it provides a safe, time-effective and fun way for people to have a number of first dates in one evening.
Finding your ideal voluntary role has many similarities to finding your ideal partner – you have to decide whether you have enough interests and passions in common to develop a relationship.
But how do you decide which organisation to meet in the first place, when there are literally hundreds needing help from volunteers? If you are interested in sport, we can help!
We have teamed up with Sport Royston to launch Royston’s very first Sports Club Speed Match event on Monday, March 9 at Greneway Middle School in Royston.
We are bringing a cross- section of sports clubs together in one room, where they will have three minutes with each volunteer to tell you about their club and their volunteering opportunities.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
Both sports clubs and potential volunteers keep score sheets, and a matching of ‘yes’ and ‘maybe’ scores is done afterwards by the Volunteer Centre team.
If you are interested in meeting local sports clubs and finding out how you can get involved – just contact us for a booking form. Places are limited for volunteer daters and booking is essential, so don’t delay!
You can find the centre Royston & District Volunteer Centre in the Royston Town Hall Annexe, Melbourn Street, Royston, SG8 7DA
Phone 01763 243020, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.roystonvolunteer.org.uk