On-the-run ‘skull cracker’ who robbed Royston bank arrested
- Credit: Archant
Two men, one reported to be an on-the-run armed robber known as the ‘skull cracker’, have been arrested.
Surrey police said a 55-year-old man and a 53 year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery at a Chelsea Building Society in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, at 10.20am today (Wednesday).
One of the men is believed to be 55-year-old Michael Wheatley, who was given 13 life sentences in 2002 for a series of bank robberies – including one in Royston.
Wheatley, who got his ‘skull cracker’ nickname for pistol whipping his victims, absconded from the HMP Standford Hill open prison on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent, on Saturday, prompting a large manhunt by several police forces.
The two men were arrested in Tower Hamlets area of London and have been taken into police custody. The 55-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of being unlawfully at large.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Raymer, of Surrey Police, said: “I would like to thank the local community for their assistance and patience as we conducted extensive enquiries this morning.
“We have been liaising with colleagues at Kent Police and the Metropolitan Police as part of our enquiries and two men have now been arrested in connection with this offence.”
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 3 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 4 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 5 The bells are back in town!
- 6 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 7 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
- 8 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 9 More people in Herts have been vaccinated than have had COVID-19
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
Officers remain at the scene of the armed robbery in Surrey gathering evidence.