On-the-run ‘skull cracker’ who robbed Royston bank arrested
- Credit: Archant
Two men, one reported to be an on-the-run armed robber known as the ‘skull cracker’, have been arrested.
Surrey police said a 55-year-old man and a 53 year-old man have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery at a Chelsea Building Society in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, at 10.20am today (Wednesday).
One of the men is believed to be 55-year-old Michael Wheatley, who was given 13 life sentences in 2002 for a series of bank robberies – including one in Royston.
Wheatley, who got his ‘skull cracker’ nickname for pistol whipping his victims, absconded from the HMP Standford Hill open prison on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent, on Saturday, prompting a large manhunt by several police forces.
The two men were arrested in Tower Hamlets area of London and have been taken into police custody. The 55-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of being unlawfully at large.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Raymer, of Surrey Police, said: “I would like to thank the local community for their assistance and patience as we conducted extensive enquiries this morning.
“We have been liaising with colleagues at Kent Police and the Metropolitan Police as part of our enquiries and two men have now been arrested in connection with this offence.”
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Officers remain at the scene of the armed robbery in Surrey gathering evidence.