Olympic torch relay in Royston revealed
THE route of Royston’s own Olympic-style torch relay has been revealed.
A replica of the torch will be carried by members of the Royston Runners through the town before the May Fayre.
Club chairman, Maurice Hill, said: “It’s all in hand. I have been round and worked out all the sections and all I have to do is start recruiting members of the club.”
The event was organised after Royston missed out on the official Olympic Torch relay and the final stage of the route will take runners into Priory Gardens to light the ‘Olympic Flame’ and launch the May Fayre.
A variety of events have been organised for the day, which will see the town’s MP Oliver Heald welcome some of the regions sporting stars.
You may also want to watch:
Several displays will also entertain visitors, with shows running from 10am-4.20pm.
- 1 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 MP calls for illegal parking clamp-down, as council makes civil enforcement plans
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 9 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 10 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire