Olympic torch relay in Royston revealed
THE route of Royston’s own Olympic-style torch relay has been revealed.
A replica of the torch will be carried by members of the Royston Runners through the town before the May Fayre.
Club chairman, Maurice Hill, said: “It’s all in hand. I have been round and worked out all the sections and all I have to do is start recruiting members of the club.”
The event was organised after Royston missed out on the official Olympic Torch relay and the final stage of the route will take runners into Priory Gardens to light the ‘Olympic Flame’ and launch the May Fayre.
A variety of events have been organised for the day, which will see the town’s MP Oliver Heald welcome some of the regions sporting stars.
You may also want to watch:
Several displays will also entertain visitors, with shows running from 10am-4.20pm.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire