Olympic torch relay in Royston revealed
THE route of Royston’s own Olympic-style torch relay has been revealed.
A replica of the torch will be carried by members of the Royston Runners through the town before the May Fayre.
Club chairman, Maurice Hill, said: “It’s all in hand. I have been round and worked out all the sections and all I have to do is start recruiting members of the club.”
The event was organised after Royston missed out on the official Olympic Torch relay and the final stage of the route will take runners into Priory Gardens to light the ‘Olympic Flame’ and launch the May Fayre.
A variety of events have been organised for the day, which will see the town’s MP Oliver Heald welcome some of the regions sporting stars.
You may also want to watch:
Several displays will also entertain visitors, with shows running from 10am-4.20pm.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 9 Crows to take defeats on the chin after unbeaten run comes to a frustrating end
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor