Olympic torch bearers sought
AN Olympic appeal for inspirational Crow Country residents to bring the burning symbol of the games through North Herts has been issued.
The Olympic Committee wants nominations for torchbearers to run 300-metre legs as it travels between Cambridge and Luton next July.
Councillor Ian Knighton, North Herts District Council’s portfolio holder for leisure, said: “This is an exciting time for North Herts and a once in a lifetime opportunity for nominees that are chosen to become torchbearers.
“Nominating someone is also a fantastic way to say thank you to them for their outstanding contributions to the local community.”
The successful torch bearers must be over 12 years old and have made a real difference to others through work in the local community.
You may also want to watch:
To nominate someone a statement of 150 words describing why they should take part must be sent to The London 2012 committee by the end of this month.
The first part of the draw is an automated random selection and NHDC says the more applications that come forward the bigger the chance the district can move forward to the next stage.
- 1 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 2 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 3 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 4 How effective is gritting roads in lockdown?
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 8 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 9 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 10 County 'extremely grateful' for chief fire officer's 30-year service
The closing date is June 29 and applicants can visit the website http://www.london2012.com/games/olympic-torch-relay/