Odyssey headline Royston Soul Club Soul Night festival
- Credit: Archant
A major disco band from the 1970s is due to headline a Royston soul festival at the end of next month.
Odyssey – known for popular hit Native New Yorker – will perform at the Royston Soul Club Soul Night on May 23.
Royston Soul Club – also a product of the 1970s – used to congregate at The Bull Hotel in Royston on a Sunday night, but 12 years ago moved to its new home at Royston Town FC’s headquarters in Garden Walk.
Event organiser Andy Geraghty, who has been running the soul club since its infancy, said: “It promises to be a fantastic event, soul really brings the community together.
“We have held many successful events over the years and we are really hoping for a big turnout this year.”
The organisers will be making a donation to Marie Curie Cancer Care through ticket sales, and representatives from the charity will be there on the night to collect dosh.
The soul club holds events four times a year and every May the football club have a marquee erected, where they hold a presentation evening and beer festival.
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 4 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 10 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
During that weekend, the club holds a soul night on the Saturday, which includes a well known soul act from the past and resident DJ, Rising High Disco. This year Odyssey will be supported by Mr Soul and Soul in the City.
Tickets are now on sale and can be purchased from Royston Town Football Club. The event runs from 7pm until midnight and is for over 30s only.
If you would like to find out more, visit the Facebook page by searching ‘Royston Soul Club’.