North Herts and South Cambs politicians express horror at latest London terror attacks and send messages of support to victims’ families
- Credit: Archant
Politicians in North Herts and South Cambs have offered messages of support to those affected by last night’s terror attacks in London.
Seven people have died and at least 48 injured after a van was driven into pedestrians on London Bridge shortly after 10pm before three knife-wielding attackers left the vehicle and stabbed victims in Borough Market. The assailants were shot dead by police within eight minutes of them first being alerted.
It is the third major terrorist attack in the UK this year and follows the bomb blast at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena under a fortnight ago and an attack on Westminster Bridge on March 22.
As General Election campaigning was suspended nationally for the second time in a fortnight, Tory candidate North East Herts Sir Oliver Heald tweeted: “Sad to hear of dreadful incidents in south London. Thoughts are with those attacked, their families and friends. Thank you to police and emergency services for their response to the attacks.”
The South Cambs candidate Conservative Heidi Allen tweeted: “My thoughts and prayers are with those killed and injured in the cowardly, callous, misguided attack on our people #LondonAttacks.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone concerned about friends or relatives who may have been caught up in the attack should call the dedicated casualty line set up by the Metropolitan Police on 0800 096 1233 or 020 7158 0197.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 6 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?