No cold-calling zone extended in Royston
MORE nuisance salesmen are getting the cold shoulder in Royston after a no-cold calling zone was extended. Police and trading standards officers initially set up the Mill Road zone in 2008, and it has been so successful that is being extended to Queensway
MORE nuisance salesmen are getting the cold shoulder in Royston after a no-cold calling zone was extended.
Police and trading standards officers initially set up the Mill Road zone in 2008, and it has been so successful that is being extended to Queensway, Queens Road, and Clark Road. It is designed to deter would-be criminals and encourage residents to feel confident in saying no to cold callers.
Pcso Sarah Lamb, from the Royston Neighbourhood Team, has been involved in the scheme since its inception. She said: "The scheme set up in Mill Road has proved extremely popular with residents and I am pleased we have been able to extend the zone to a further three roads.
"All members of our communities, particularly the vulnerable, should feel empowered to say no to anyone knocking at their door without pre-warning and No Cold Calling Zones are a large part of this.
You may also want to watch:
"I would like to thank residents for their help and support in setting this up and I am sure this will bring positive changes for them," she said.
Signs have been placed on lampposts in the streets to deter rogue traders and doorstep sellers from entering the area.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Residents have also been given a pack containing information about their rights as consumers and useful telephone numbers to call if they are concerned about a cold caller.