New volunteer centre opens in Royston
- Credit: Archant
MEMBERS of Royston Volunteer Centre hope they will be able to help more people link up with organisations in the town after moving into new premises.
The centre will now be based at the annex of Royston Town Hall, in Melbourn Street, after moving out of its long-term base at Royston Hospital.
Cllr Lindsay Davidson, Royston’s mayor and chairman of the centre, cut the ribbon to officially open the new offices yesterday, (Wednesday).
Denise Graham, manager of the centre, said she was delighted the move had come to fruition after 16 months of planning.
She said: “We’ve increased the number of people we reach year-on-year, but it was difficult to get to our old offices tucked away on the second floor at the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“Now we’re right at the centre of the town, next to the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) and where the community cinema will be, so we feel like we’ve come into the heart of the community.”
As well as new offices, donations from North Herts District Council, county councillor Fiona Hill and Johnson Matthey have enabled the centre to buy new computer systems. The increased space will also allow them to hold training courses and workshops.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
Anyone interested in volunteering can call in at the centre, telephone 01763 243020 or email email@example.com.