New volunteer centre opens in Royston
- Credit: Archant
MEMBERS of Royston Volunteer Centre hope they will be able to help more people link up with organisations in the town after moving into new premises.
The centre will now be based at the annex of Royston Town Hall, in Melbourn Street, after moving out of its long-term base at Royston Hospital.
Cllr Lindsay Davidson, Royston’s mayor and chairman of the centre, cut the ribbon to officially open the new offices yesterday, (Wednesday).
Denise Graham, manager of the centre, said she was delighted the move had come to fruition after 16 months of planning.
She said: “We’ve increased the number of people we reach year-on-year, but it was difficult to get to our old offices tucked away on the second floor at the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“Now we’re right at the centre of the town, next to the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) and where the community cinema will be, so we feel like we’ve come into the heart of the community.”
As well as new offices, donations from North Herts District Council, county councillor Fiona Hill and Johnson Matthey have enabled the centre to buy new computer systems. The increased space will also allow them to hold training courses and workshops.
- 1 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 2 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 3 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
- 8 Tribute to beloved mum, friend and artist Debbie Horabin
- 9 Political row over South Cambs new town proposal
- 10 Thief pleads guilty to assaulting two people
Anyone interested in volunteering can call in at the centre, telephone 01763 243020 or email email@example.com.