New security survey to tackle rural crime in Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
A security survey tailored for rural businesses, such as farms, has been developed in response to ongoing crime problems in Cambridgeshire.
The survey was developed by PCSO Gemma Dear - Rural Crime Officer at Cambridgeshire Police, and Carly Freed - South Cambridgeshire Business Watch Officer. It encourages rural business owners and managers to prioritise the reviewing of their security as it can significantly help prevent the financial impact and inconvenience of having valuable vehicles, equipment and tools stolen.
The survey is a series of questions based on the key areas a burglar would consider when choosing potential targets including access and perimeters, farm equipment and livestock.
PCSO Dear said: “The impact a burglary can have on a business can be huge, both for the cost of replacing items but also the lost time through repairs and managing the aftermath.
“Rural businesses have additional challenges due to the often large size of property and being quite remote and isolated from other premises. Also, because of the nature of the business, their security considerations can be quite different and so it is important they are reviewed appropriately.”
As part of tackling the problem in South Cambridgeshire, where it is a bigger issue, Gemma and Carly are carrying out a series of training sessions with officers about the importance of rural crime and how it needs to be treated differently to normal commercial burglary.
The Rural Business Security Survey and advice is available the Cambridgeshire Constabulary website - www.cambs-police.co.uk/GetCloser/BusinessCrime/security.asp
- 1 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 2 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 8 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
For more information and advice about tackling rural business crime contact PCSO Gemma Dear or PCSO Carly Freed (South Cambridgeshire) on 101.