New Scout group seeks leader
A new scouting group to be set up in Melbourn is on the lookout for a leader. At a meeting held at Melbourn Primary School on Tuesday, parents and children showed their support and discussed the logistics of setting up a scouting group in the area. Distri
A new scouting group to be set up in Melbourn is on the lookout for a leader.
At a meeting held at Melbourn Primary School on Tuesday, parents and children showed their support and discussed the logistics of setting up a scouting group in the area.
District Commissioner for the Granta region Michael Rolfe spoke of the success of neighbouring groups and added: "We are looking for someone who is committed, who is good with children, and who has the time to give to the group.
"They don't have to have any particular skills, such as tying knots or putting up tents - training will be given!"
You may also want to watch:
While nearby towns and villages have their own scouting groups, Melbourn and Meldreth have been without a Beaver, Cub or Scout group for eight years through a lack of leaders.
Businessman and parent John Balodis who has rallied support for the new group said: "I think there will be a lot of parents who will volunteer and be at the meetings weekly, but we are looking for someone to come forward and say 'yes I'll be the leader'."
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
Parent Nicola Dimelow from Melbourn, who attended the meeting said: "This is an excellent idea. There is nowhere for the boys to go and channel their energy at the moment."
Anyone interested in getting involved in the group, as a leader or supporter, should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.