New Royston bus service thumbs up
A NEW bus service for Royston has been given the thumbs up by residents. The No 24 bus will take people from the Coombe-lands estate to Tesco and onto the town centre. The service will run once a week on a trial basis. Its first trip yesterday (Wednesday
A NEW bus service for Royston has been given the thumbs up by residents.
The No 24 bus will take people from the Coombe-lands estate to Tesco and onto the town centre.
The service will run once a week on a trial basis.
Its first trip yesterday (Wednesday) saw it attract about 20 passengers.
You may also want to watch:
Irene Hatchman, 87, said: "I'm so pleased to be able to get into the town again.
"I was the first passenger on the old No 17 bus when that started so it's nice to be one of the first on the No 24 as well."
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
Joy Surtees, 81, said: "With-out the bus I had no way to get about apart from calling the volunteer hospital car service. At least now I can go into Royston to do my shopping."
The No 24 serves a similar route to the No 17 service, which was axed at the end of last year after North Herts District Council's decision to end its £130,000 subsidy to Hertfordshire County Council.
Terry Hutt, of the Royston Pensioners Action Group, said: "You can see how many people need this bus because they have no other means of transport."
Royston's county councillor Doug Drake said: "It's great that people have responded. The service is a bit meagre at the moment, but it's a start."
On Monday Cllr Drake and his wife delivered leaflets to homes around Coombelands informing residents about the new service.
He said it was "vital" that people continue to use the bus.
"Although it is a trial at the moment, the bus won't be taken away if it is well received," he said.