New permanent exhibition set to open at the Imperial War Museum Duxford
- Credit: Archant
A NEW permanent exhibition at the Imperial War Museum Duxford will explore the site’s history as an RAF airfield.
Historic Duxford, which has been in development for nearly 20 years, is the first new permanent exhibition to open at the museum since 2007. It focuses on the period between 1918 and 1961 when Duxford was an operational RAF airfield, and features stories and artefacts from people who lived and worked at the base.
Steve Woolford, head of interpretation and collections at the museum, said: “We’re able to show why Duxford is so important historically and also to help visitors to look at our historic site with fresh eyes.
“The personal stories of the men and women who lived, worked and fought for their country at RAF Duxford, take centre stage, supported by the personal objects that help to convey those stories.
“We’ve been working for many years to research the stories of the men and women who passed through the gates at RAF Duxford. This gives us the incredible depth and intensity of personal stories that we now tell in Historic Duxford.”
You may also want to watch:
One of the most famous faces in the exhibition is decorated World War Two pilot Sir Douglas Bader.
Mr Woolford said: “In the exhibition we not only have his dress cap and jacket on display, but we have a film of him talking about his experiences at RAF Duxford, rare 1930s home-shot film of him off-duty, plus the personal memories of his RAF colleagues.”
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
The exhibition opens on March 28.