New mayor takes over
ROYSTON’S new mayor is Martin Beaver.
Cllr Beaver, who was re-elected to the council last month after standing down in 2003, takes over from Rod Kennedy.
He was voted in by his fellow councillors at the town council’s annual meeting, held on Monday.
The new mayor, 48, who works at Royston Tesco, said of his appointment: “I’m very humbled, it’s an honour to be mayor of this great town, and I am relishing the opportunity to do my bit and help as many people and charities as I can.”
He has selected the Bobby Moore cancer foundation and the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion as his chosen charities, and will also continue to support the Royston Community Chest.
You may also want to watch:
The new incumbent, whose mayoress will be his wife, Caroline, paid tribute to Mr Kennedy, who retired from the council altogether at the elections.
He said: “Rod has done an excellent job for the people of Royston, both as a councillor and in his mayoral terms.”
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 4 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 5 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 9 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 10 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
Cllr Rob Inwood was named deputy mayor.
Cllr Beaver is pictured receiving his chain of office from Mr Kennedy.