New mayor takes over
ROYSTON’S new mayor is Martin Beaver.
Cllr Beaver, who was re-elected to the council last month after standing down in 2003, takes over from Rod Kennedy.
He was voted in by his fellow councillors at the town council’s annual meeting, held on Monday.
The new mayor, 48, who works at Royston Tesco, said of his appointment: “I’m very humbled, it’s an honour to be mayor of this great town, and I am relishing the opportunity to do my bit and help as many people and charities as I can.”
He has selected the Bobby Moore cancer foundation and the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion as his chosen charities, and will also continue to support the Royston Community Chest.
You may also want to watch:
The new incumbent, whose mayoress will be his wife, Caroline, paid tribute to Mr Kennedy, who retired from the council altogether at the elections.
He said: “Rod has done an excellent job for the people of Royston, both as a councillor and in his mayoral terms.”
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 5 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 6 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 9 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well
Cllr Rob Inwood was named deputy mayor.
Cllr Beaver is pictured receiving his chain of office from Mr Kennedy.