New mayor takes over
ROYSTON’S new mayor is Martin Beaver.
Cllr Beaver, who was re-elected to the council last month after standing down in 2003, takes over from Rod Kennedy.
He was voted in by his fellow councillors at the town council’s annual meeting, held on Monday.
The new mayor, 48, who works at Royston Tesco, said of his appointment: “I’m very humbled, it’s an honour to be mayor of this great town, and I am relishing the opportunity to do my bit and help as many people and charities as I can.”
He has selected the Bobby Moore cancer foundation and the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion as his chosen charities, and will also continue to support the Royston Community Chest.
You may also want to watch:
The new incumbent, whose mayoress will be his wife, Caroline, paid tribute to Mr Kennedy, who retired from the council altogether at the elections.
He said: “Rod has done an excellent job for the people of Royston, both as a councillor and in his mayoral terms.”
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
Cllr Rob Inwood was named deputy mayor.
Cllr Beaver is pictured receiving his chain of office from Mr Kennedy.