New fitness club opens in Royston
TWO former amateur boxers have started their own fitness club, with a view to providing an alternative to mainstream gyms.
Julian Ireland, from Melbourn, and Nick Newland, from Royston, who both used to box for Royston Amateur Boxing Club, launched the Ringside Fitness club on Monday.
It will offer state-of-the-art boxing equipment and gym facilities for over 18s to get into shape.
Mr Ireland said: “Nick and I had just turned 40 and we wanted to get fit. However, we had both tried the traditional fitness gyms and it’s not our cup of tea.
“We decided to set up Ringside to make it somewhere unique where people can train, as modern gyms don’t always appeal to everyone.”
The pair will be helped out by former Royston and Stevenage boxing coach Dave Blows, who trained formed England under-19 captain Bradley Evans.
Mr Ireland stressed that the gym is not a boxing, club, simply a place for people to keep fit.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 6 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 7 Royston Photographic Society announces latest competition winners
- 8 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
“This is a fully kitted-out boxing gym, and amateur boxers and professionals can come down and train there,” he said.
“There will always be trainers here is needed, but it’s mainly for people to come down, do their own thing, and try and get into shape.”
Ringside Fitness club is situated at Unit 2, Lower Gower Road, Royston. Classes will take place on Monday to Thursday from 6.15pm to 7.30pm and 7.45pm to 9pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Each session costs �6, and more information can be given by calling Mr Ireland on 07845030229.