New fitness club opens in Royston
TWO former amateur boxers have started their own fitness club, with a view to providing an alternative to mainstream gyms.
Julian Ireland, from Melbourn, and Nick Newland, from Royston, who both used to box for Royston Amateur Boxing Club, launched the Ringside Fitness club on Monday.
It will offer state-of-the-art boxing equipment and gym facilities for over 18s to get into shape.
Mr Ireland said: “Nick and I had just turned 40 and we wanted to get fit. However, we had both tried the traditional fitness gyms and it’s not our cup of tea.
“We decided to set up Ringside to make it somewhere unique where people can train, as modern gyms don’t always appeal to everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
The pair will be helped out by former Royston and Stevenage boxing coach Dave Blows, who trained formed England under-19 captain Bradley Evans.
Mr Ireland stressed that the gym is not a boxing, club, simply a place for people to keep fit.
- 1 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 2 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 3 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 4 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 NHS Trust says vaccine figures offer hope as 40 per cent of Lister's patients have COVID-19
- 7 Hare coursers damaged farmer's crops in escape bid
- 8 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 9 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 10 Thriplow's Baroness Boothroyd slams government vaccine strategy
“This is a fully kitted-out boxing gym, and amateur boxers and professionals can come down and train there,” he said.
“There will always be trainers here is needed, but it’s mainly for people to come down, do their own thing, and try and get into shape.”
Ringside Fitness club is situated at Unit 2, Lower Gower Road, Royston. Classes will take place on Monday to Thursday from 6.15pm to 7.30pm and 7.45pm to 9pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Each session costs �6, and more information can be given by calling Mr Ireland on 07845030229.