New challenge for Rebecca
A YOUNG musician has been granted a place at a prestigious music school. Rebecca Laker, of Barkway Road, Royston, will be starting at Trinity Music School in Greenwich in September. Her main instrument is the oboe, which she has been playing since the a
A YOUNG musician has been granted a place at a prestigious music school.
Rebecca Laker, of Barkway Road, Royston, will be starting at Trinity Music School in Greenwich in September.
Her main instrument is the oboe, which she has been playing since the age of nine, but she also sings and plays the piano.
She said: "The course I'm doing is really good. You get to perform at concerts across London. I want to become a professional musician and this is the logical next step for me."
You may also want to watch:
To get into Trinity, Miss Laker had to take part in a gruelling interview process, including two recitals and a sight-reading test. A former pupil of Meridian School, she is quick to praise the musical education she received in Royston.
"I was one of the founding members of the Royston Saturday Morning Music School. The teaching and support I received was second to none," she said.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 6 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
Fees at the college are more than £6,000 per year, and although Miss Laker has received a scholarship for half the amount, she still needs to cover the other half, and her living expenses.