Nearly 150 youngsters compete in windswept Royston Fun Run
NEARLY 150 young runners took part in a windswept 3km challenge around Therfield Heath on Sunday.
The Royston Fun Run saw youngsters from across Crow County flock to Royston, including a 30 strong contingent of four to 11-year-olds from Steeple Morden Primary School.
The Royston Runners organised and marshalled the event which also saw kids from the town’s Meridian, Roysia, Greneway, Icknield Walk and Studlands Rise schools, take part.
As well as students from Chrishall School, The Perse School and Heritage Day School, both in Cambridge.
Race director and chairman of the runners, Maurice Hill, said: “It’s always great to see so many families and young people coming along to take part in this fun annual event.”
You may also want to watch:
A record breaking performance from Edwinstree School pupil Jamie Philpott saw the 13-year-old cross the line in 10:36 minutes.
“It certainly was an impressive run,” said Mr Hill.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 7 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 8 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 9 Fundraisers walk, run and roll in month-long charity challenge
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
“I can’t remember anyone ever completing the course in a faster time. It’s a huge achievement and he should be very proud of himself, as should all the young runners who took part.”
Second across the line was Meridian School student Gus Rees, 14, in 10:47.
First girl home was Ellie Laughlin, 13, in 14:12, followed by fellow Greneway School pupil Charlotte Conn in 14:23.