MPs out to force First Capital Connect to improve train services
MPs are putting further pressure on First Capital Connect to improve its services after periods of disruption over the past few months. North East Bedfordshire MP Alistair Burt is supporting a Commons Motion signed by 16 of his colleagues designed to brin
MPs are putting further pressure on First Capital Connect to improve its services after periods of disruption over the past few months.
North East Bedfordshire MP Alistair Burt is supporting a Commons Motion signed by 16 of his colleagues designed to bring to the Government's notice what they say are the recent failings of the company and putting them on notice in relation to their franchise.
"The Commons Motion has been signed by a number of MPs, whose constituents have been disturbed by the performance of First Capital Connect recently, deplores the severe reduction in timetabled services, complains about the delays on part of the Department of Transport to deliver much needed rolling stock, and calls upon the company to guarantee an improved service and make appropriate compensation to passengers," said Mr Burt.
Mr Burt, along with other MPs, will be meeting the managing director of First Capital Connect next week.
You may also want to watch:
"While I think it is premature for the Government to make its decision to take the franchise away from First Capital Connect, with all the disruption which might result from that, I don't think it is unreasonable for the company to know that MPs have put their concerns directly to the Secretary of State with a view of him taking action on the franchise if there is not significant improvement in a very short space of time," added Mr Burt.
"We expect the management to manage, but we also expect those who work for the company to recognise their responsibilities to passengers who pay a considerable amount to use the First Capital Connect lines.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
"We will keep up the pressure and do our best to ensure that a proper service is given to constituents and passengers.