South Cambs MP reaffirms commitment to new children’s hospital in Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
The MP for South Cambridgeshire has underlined his support for a Cambridge children’s hospital during a visit to the proposed site.
Anthony Browne met Dame Mary Archer, co-chairman and long-time campaigner for the hospital, and Mike Moore – Cambridge University Hospitals chairman – on the proposed site at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus. adjacent to Addenbrooke’s and The Rosie hospitals.
Designed to integrate mental health, physical health and channel research, the specialist hospital would bring together Cambridge University Hospitals, the Cambridge & Peterborough Foundation Trust and the University of Cambridge Department of Paediatrics.
Alongside a desire to offer world-class care for children across the East of England, the hospital aims to make an important contribution globally to the development of children’s healthcare, including in the field of genomic medicine.
By bringing together top scientists from around the world, clinicians would be able to explore new ways of diagnosing and treating some of the most challenging diseases of childhood.
You may also want to watch:
Planners are looking to develop construction plans while seeking around £100 million in philanthropic funding to add to the commitment of £100 million of public money announced by Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care.
The goal is for the new hospital to be built by 2025.
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 5 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
Anthony Browne MP said: “This is a highly important project, not just for the children of South Cambridgeshire but those across the country, and potentially around the globe. It would offer a unique collaboration between researchers and clinicians as well as providing world-class care for generations to come.
“I very much welcome the Government’s continued support and investment, but the challenge now is to find millions of pounds in philanthropic support to make this hospital a reality.
“I want to assure everyone supporting this project that I will do all I can to assist in these efforts, and look forward to seeing the Cambridge Children’s Hospital team bring this project to fruition”
For more information on the new hospital go to www.cambridgechildrens.org.uk.