MP rocks on for mobiles scheme
MP Oliver Heald teamed up with one of his boyhood heroes, rock legend Peter Gabriel, to support a mobile phone recycling campaign. Both Mr Heald, the MP for North East Herts, and the former Genesis star have been appealing for people to donate their unwan
MP Oliver Heald teamed up with one of his boyhood heroes, rock legend Peter Gabriel, to support a mobile phone recycling campaign.
Both Mr Heald, the MP for North East Herts, and the former Genesis star have been appealing for people to donate their unwanted mobiles to help African countries.
Every hour, 1,712 mobile phones are upgraded in the UK after about 18 months of use - despite having a lifespan of approximately 10 years.
Mr Heald said: "If each mobile phone-user in the UK were to throw away their handsets we'd be land filling about £650,000 worth of silver each year.
You may also want to watch:
"Sending our unwanted mobile phones to developing counties can not only help protect our environment from hazardous waste and toxic chemicals, but can help people in developing countries to do business, keep in touch, and more importantly in emergency cases where the nearest hospital is 90 miles away, people can call for help, making the difference between life and death."
Mr Heald, pictured above with Peter Gabriel, said wider access to communications in Africa was an important element in tackling poverty.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 10 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
"Having a phone means having a voice and that is the best way to help people out of poverty. It is important that we in the UK help them to help themselves."
"I had all the Genesis albums in my youth. Peter Gabriel is one of the great stars of rock music.