MP Oliver Heald and Herts County Council to fight Government shock decision to slash post-16 school
NORTH East Herts MP Oliver Heald said today he was shocked to learn that local secondary schools are facing last minute Government cuts of possibly �50,000 from their post-16 budgets. All local schools seem to be affected and have contacted Mr Heald worri
NORTH East Herts MP Oliver Heald said today he was shocked to learn that local secondary schools are facing last minute Government cuts of possibly �50,000 from their post-16 budgets.
All local schools seem to be affected and have contacted Mr Heald worried at how to provide good quality lessons with tens of thousands of pounds less in their budgets.
A typical cut seems to be �50,000 only notified at the very last minute after budgets had been set. Hertfordshire County Council was given no advance warning of the slashed student budgets but they say they intend to fight the cuts.
Mr Heald has immediately written to schools' boss Ed Balls MP, Minister for Children, Families and Schools asking for a reprieve for local children.
You may also want to watch:
Commenting Mr Heald said: "Coming on top of the budget cuts to North Herts College, we now have our schools hit hard in their already stretched budgets.
"It may be different in areas where Labour spends more, but this will hit hard here. I hope Minister Balls will respond quickly with a reprieve."
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 3 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 4 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 5 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 6 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 7 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 8 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 9 The bells are back in town!
- 10 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
A spokesman for Hertfordshire County Council said: "John Harris, the director of children, schools and families and Justin Donovan, the director of education, were fully briefed on Thursday morning by regional officers from the Learning and Skills Council about the reasons for the national reduction in funding for school sixth forms, and the late notification of the funding reduction.
"The Learning and Skills Council director agreed to write to schools and colleges to explain the situation. Hertfordshire County Council will be joining other local authorities to campaign for the funding to be restored.