MP gets hands dirty in the River Shep
- Credit: Archant
MP for South Cambridgeshire Heidi Allen dusted down her wellies and joined community group Friends of the River Shep to clean an overgrown newt pond in Shepreth.
In the summer Heidi supported the friends in their successful negotiations with the Environment Agency – so she was invited by the group to see their work first hand.
Heidi said: “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with local volunteers in my constituency, especially on tasks that aid flood control as well as benefitting wildlife.”
The volunteers were impressed by an MP who not only brought her own well-used wellies, but knew how to use a bow saw.
The Friends of the River Shep is a group dedicated to safeguarding the River Shep, a chalk stream running through the village.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the Friends of the River Shep group and how to get involved in their environmental work, visit the website at www.shepreth.org.
- 1 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 2 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 6 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 8 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 9 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 10 Mass vaccination centre in town 'first' to open next week