MP gets hands dirty in the River Shep
- Credit: Archant
MP for South Cambridgeshire Heidi Allen dusted down her wellies and joined community group Friends of the River Shep to clean an overgrown newt pond in Shepreth.
In the summer Heidi supported the friends in their successful negotiations with the Environment Agency – so she was invited by the group to see their work first hand.
Heidi said: “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with local volunteers in my constituency, especially on tasks that aid flood control as well as benefitting wildlife.”
The volunteers were impressed by an MP who not only brought her own well-used wellies, but knew how to use a bow saw.
The Friends of the River Shep is a group dedicated to safeguarding the River Shep, a chalk stream running through the village.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the Friends of the River Shep group and how to get involved in their environmental work, visit the website at www.shepreth.org.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE