MP gets hands dirty in the River Shep
- Credit: Archant
MP for South Cambridgeshire Heidi Allen dusted down her wellies and joined community group Friends of the River Shep to clean an overgrown newt pond in Shepreth.
In the summer Heidi supported the friends in their successful negotiations with the Environment Agency – so she was invited by the group to see their work first hand.
Heidi said: “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with local volunteers in my constituency, especially on tasks that aid flood control as well as benefitting wildlife.”
The volunteers were impressed by an MP who not only brought her own well-used wellies, but knew how to use a bow saw.
The Friends of the River Shep is a group dedicated to safeguarding the River Shep, a chalk stream running through the village.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the Friends of the River Shep group and how to get involved in their environmental work, visit the website at www.shepreth.org.
- 1 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 2 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 3 Fundraisers walk, run and roll in month-long charity challenge
- 4 Stagecoach bus routes changing due to lack of staff
- 5 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 7 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 8 Woman killed in A1307 lorry crash worked at Addenbrooke's Hospital
- 9 Leave us alone, MP’s junior aide tells councillor who quizzed him on Kabul
- 10 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford