MP gets hands dirty in the River Shep
- Credit: Archant
MP for South Cambridgeshire Heidi Allen dusted down her wellies and joined community group Friends of the River Shep to clean an overgrown newt pond in Shepreth.
In the summer Heidi supported the friends in their successful negotiations with the Environment Agency – so she was invited by the group to see their work first hand.
Heidi said: “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with local volunteers in my constituency, especially on tasks that aid flood control as well as benefitting wildlife.”
The volunteers were impressed by an MP who not only brought her own well-used wellies, but knew how to use a bow saw.
The Friends of the River Shep is a group dedicated to safeguarding the River Shep, a chalk stream running through the village.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on the Friends of the River Shep group and how to get involved in their environmental work, visit the website at www.shepreth.org.
- 1 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 7 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm