MP gets hands dirty in the River Shep
- Credit: Archant
MP for South Cambridgeshire Heidi Allen dusted down her wellies and joined community group Friends of the River Shep to clean an overgrown newt pond in Shepreth.
In the summer Heidi supported the friends in their successful negotiations with the Environment Agency – so she was invited by the group to see their work first hand.
Heidi said: “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with local volunteers in my constituency, especially on tasks that aid flood control as well as benefitting wildlife.”
The volunteers were impressed by an MP who not only brought her own well-used wellies, but knew how to use a bow saw.
The Friends of the River Shep is a group dedicated to safeguarding the River Shep, a chalk stream running through the village.
For more information on the Friends of the River Shep group and how to get involved in their environmental work, visit the website at www.shepreth.org.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'