MP claims expenses of £144,000 for year
MP Oliver Heald claimed £144,115 in expenses last year. And House of Commons figures reveal that more than half – £89,744 – was spent on staffing costs. The average expenses claimed by the 646 MPs in the Commons was £136,000. Speaking to The Crow, the N
MP Oliver Heald claimed £144,115 in expenses last year.
And House of Commons figures reveal that more than half - £89,744 - was spent on staffing costs.
The average expenses claimed by the 646 MPs in the Commons was £136,000.
Speaking to The Crow, the North-east Herts MP said: "I believe my expenses are in line with those of other MPs with a similar size of constituency."
You may also want to watch:
He said his constituency - which covers Royston, Buntingford, Baldock and Letchworth as well as the surrounding villages - is "one of the largest in the Home Counties and by far the largest in Hertfordshire."
A portion of his expenses during the 12-month period was claimed when he was Shadow Secretary for Consititutial Affairs.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
He lost his Shadow Cabinet role in Conservative Party leader David Cameron's re-shuffle, but he has since been appointed to the Commons Select Committee on Work and Pensions.
Mr Heald was once a minister at the Department for Social Security during the days of the last Conservative government.
Mr Heald claimed £17,972 for office running costs. Travelling during the year cost a total of £9,261, which included European travel expenses of £557.
In 2005-06, Mr Heald claimed £135,057 in expenses in 2004-05, £123,937.
- South Cambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley, the Shadow Health Secretary, claimed expenses of £135,706.
His staffing costs were £84,368 - an increase from £68,589 in 2005-06.
Travelling expenses during the 12-month period were £5,916.