Move to clean up River Mel
A VILLAGE river is set for a clean-up. The River Mel Restoration Group has teamed up with RiverCare (funded by Anglian Water) to host a series of clean-up events along the river in Melbourn. They will prepare for restoration work which is planned to begi
A VILLAGE river is set for a clean-up.
The River Mel Restoration Group has teamed up with RiverCare (funded by Anglian
Water) to host a series of clean-up events along the river in Melbourn.
They will prepare for restoration work which is planned to begin in the New Year.
It follows on from a successful three years of work in Meldreth, during which time banks have been improved, wildlife has returned, and wildflowers have bloomed.
Sandra Webb, treasurer of the restoration group, is urging people to volunteer for the project.
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 2 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 3 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 6 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
She said: "There is a lot of litter in the river at the moment and people have commented on it.
"We are starting on the section of the river that runs past Melbourn
Village College as the schoolchildren have said they want to get involved. Once the river has been cleaned up we are keen for people to remain and help with the restoration as well."
The first clean-up party will meet at 10.15am on Saturday at the pavilion on Melbourn Recreation Ground.
Coffee will be available and RiverCare's project officer Greg Hall will give a briefing as well as providing all necessary equipment.