Plans to close Royston’s Morrisons supermarket
- Credit: Archant
There are plans to close Royston’s Morrisons store, as the lease has come to an end and “no viable options” have been decided upon.
The store in Baldock Street is the town centre’s only supermarket, with regular bus services and parking facilities nearby.
A Morrisons spokeswoman said: “We are proposing to close our Royston store as the lease has come to an end. We have reviewed our options but we don’t believe any are viable.
“This difficult decision is in no way a reflection of the efforts of our hardworking colleagues.
“We will now begin a consultation process at the store and will be discussing how to reduce redundancies and, where possible, redeploy our highly valued colleagues within the business.”
You may also want to watch:
Morrisons has not disclosed a time frame for the consultation process or a proposed closure date.
If it does close, the nearest Morrisons would be 10 miles away at Letchworth’s Broadway or at Cambourne’s Broad Street, 12 miles away.
- 1 Road closed after 'serious' crash on A10
- 2 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 3 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 4 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Olly Murs looking forward to touring again
- 8 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 9 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 10 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire