Morris men gathering
MORRIS men from Standon have taken part in the 308th meeting of the Morris Ring of Britain. The event took place in Burnham, Somerset, and included 22 morris groups from all over the country and one from North Carolina in the USA. Pat Whittaker, of the
MORRIS men from Standon have taken part in the 308th meeting of the Morris Ring of Britain.
The event took place in Burnham, Somerset, and included 22 morris groups from all over the country and one from North Carolina in the USA.
Pat Whittaker, of the Standon Morris Men, said: "It was fantastic to play in front of all those people, and it gave me a real adrenaline rush.
"As a group we were well received and it was a great honour performing with all the other groups. It was a marvellous weekend."
You may also want to watch:
Buntingford town councillor Mr Whittaker is the group's musician and plays the harmonica and melodeon.
He said: "I've been a member for the past 14 years. The music is very complex and there are more than 200 tunes that I need to know how to play, so it's very difficult.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
"Morris dancing is a typical English tradition and it's good to keep it alive. The Standon group has been going since 1956 and we always like to take part in the Morris Ring Meeting."
- For more information on the Standon morris men call Derek Wisbey on 01920 821779.