More than £2,000 raised for village church at Ashwell Book Weekend
- Credit: Archant
Bookworms were out in force for the 17th annual Ashwell Book Weekend in the village church.
Children’s author and illustrator Angela Patchett was a special guest again this year at the medieval St Mary’s Church.
Angela – whose books include Angela Angel and the Magic Chair, Misty Bear, Wishing and Paws – had her latest book, The Magic Dolls’ House, published just days before the fair.
She read from some of her books to an excited audience of children who also had a go on her magic harp and were able to cuddle her teddies.
Organiser Karen Rogers said: “It was very well attended again this year with nearly 400 people over the two days.
You may also want to watch:
“We had hundreds of books of all types that were donated over five days beforehand and sorted by a fantastic band of volunteers.”
She added that the weekend was a great success and the amount raised was more than £2,400 to go towards the Church Restoration Fund.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well