Mo money for charity
HANDELBAR, Dali and Fu Manchu moustaches have sprouted on the lips of men across Crow Country this month for charity.
Movember saw men grow the distinctive facial hair for a month to raise money and awareness of men’s health, specifically prostate cancer.
Among the teams taking part in-and-around Royston were a group of hirsute chaps from Johnson Matthey, who hoped to raise a substantial sum.
The team from the Orchard Road firm found the event has brought people from across the company together.
Adam Watson said: “It has been so successful because it’s not just a charity thing. Everyone can join in and have a laugh and a bit of banter.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s something that will be an annual feature – it brings all the departments together.
“Being a big manufacturing firm, it’s great to have something extra that brings people together, otherwise a couple of lads might go for a few beers after work, but that’s it.”
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 3 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 4 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 5 Warning as more residents targeted by scam police calls
- 6 The bells are back in town!
- 7 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 8 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
However the team’s success may prove to be its ultimate downfall, as having reached their target – with the help of many other local firms – the lads may have to dye their ’taches pink for the Christmas do.
Royston’s firefighters also joined in with the fun and took on the top lip challenge.
The team managed to grow mighty moustaches within the one month allowed and raised �120.
Watch commander David Reece said: “We’re growing them to raise money and awareness for testicular and prostate cancer.
“The main thing is the awareness side of it, it’s quite amazing how many people do ask – but I must admit I can’t stand my moustache.”