Mildred travels back in time
A WOMAN who has always been enthusiastic about travel celebrated her 100 birthday on Tuesday. Mildred Drayton, of Drayton s Garage, Barley, celebrated being with friends and family at a party on Sunday. Mildred was born in Navestock, Essex, in 1906, but l
A WOMAN who has always been enthusiastic about travel celebrated her 100 birthday on Tuesday.
Mildred Drayton, of Drayton's Garage, Barley, celebrated being with friends and family at a party on Sunday.
Mildred was born in Navestock, Essex, in 1906, but later moved to Shaftnoend, Barley, where she attended the local school.
She worked in a launderettes in Royston before marrying William Drayton at Barley Church in 1935.
You may also want to watch:
During the 48 years in which they were married they looked after an evacuee during the Second World War and worked together at Drayton's Garage in Barley, where William was the director.
In their spare time, they enjoyed travelling together and frequently went on cruises of the Mediterranean in the 1950s.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 6 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 7 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 10 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
However, when William died in 1983 she pursued her passion for travel with her brother, Ted.
Mildred said: "I have had a very nice life and enjoyed my time at the garage and travelling with my husband.