Mildred travels back in time
A WOMAN who has always been enthusiastic about travel celebrated her 100 birthday on Tuesday. Mildred Drayton, of Drayton s Garage, Barley, celebrated being with friends and family at a party on Sunday. Mildred was born in Navestock, Essex, in 1906, but l
A WOMAN who has always been enthusiastic about travel celebrated her 100 birthday on Tuesday.
Mildred Drayton, of Drayton's Garage, Barley, celebrated being with friends and family at a party on Sunday.
Mildred was born in Navestock, Essex, in 1906, but later moved to Shaftnoend, Barley, where she attended the local school.
She worked in a launderettes in Royston before marrying William Drayton at Barley Church in 1935.
During the 48 years in which they were married they looked after an evacuee during the Second World War and worked together at Drayton's Garage in Barley, where William was the director.
In their spare time, they enjoyed travelling together and frequently went on cruises of the Mediterranean in the 1950s.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 5 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 6 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 9 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 10 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
However, when William died in 1983 she pursued her passion for travel with her brother, Ted.
Mildred said: "I have had a very nice life and enjoyed my time at the garage and travelling with my husband.