More than 50 firefighters tackle Meldreth field blazes
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling at least two field fires in Meldreth this afternoon.
Crews from Cambs, Herts, Beds, Suffolk and Essex are at the scene, in the Whaddon Road area of the village.
In the last hour, Cambs Fire and Rescue tweeted: “More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling a fire involving a large area of standing crop on Whaddon Road in Meldreth. Please avoid the area as there are a lot of fire engines at the scene.
“A number of fields have been affected by these fires, if you’re in the area and can see a fire that doesn’t look like it’s being attended to please dial 999.
“If you live in the immediate area, please close doors and windows, and dial 999 if you have concerns about your property.”
You may also want to watch:
South Cambs police tweeted: “Please be aware that due to a fire in the area of #WhaddonRoad, Meldreth there is a risk of smoke blowing across local roads. Please be careful on your journey.”
UPDATE 6pm - Cambs FRS tweeted that the fires were out and crews were dampening down.
- 1 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 2 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 3 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 4 How many children are living in poverty in North Herts?
- 5 Parish councils react to High Court decision that councils must meet in person
- 6 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Dawning of a new era' as Melbourn Community Hub prepares to reopen
- 8 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 10 Candidates in North Herts prepare to stand for county council elections