More than 50 firefighters tackle Meldreth field blazes
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling at least two field fires in Meldreth this afternoon.
Crews from Cambs, Herts, Beds, Suffolk and Essex are at the scene, in the Whaddon Road area of the village.
In the last hour, Cambs Fire and Rescue tweeted: “More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling a fire involving a large area of standing crop on Whaddon Road in Meldreth. Please avoid the area as there are a lot of fire engines at the scene.
“A number of fields have been affected by these fires, if you’re in the area and can see a fire that doesn’t look like it’s being attended to please dial 999.
“If you live in the immediate area, please close doors and windows, and dial 999 if you have concerns about your property.”
South Cambs police tweeted: “Please be aware that due to a fire in the area of #WhaddonRoad, Meldreth there is a risk of smoke blowing across local roads. Please be careful on your journey.”
UPDATE 6pm - Cambs FRS tweeted that the fires were out and crews were dampening down.
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'