More than 50 firefighters tackle Meldreth field blazes
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling at least two field fires in Meldreth this afternoon.
Crews from Cambs, Herts, Beds, Suffolk and Essex are at the scene, in the Whaddon Road area of the village.
In the last hour, Cambs Fire and Rescue tweeted: “More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling a fire involving a large area of standing crop on Whaddon Road in Meldreth. Please avoid the area as there are a lot of fire engines at the scene.
“A number of fields have been affected by these fires, if you’re in the area and can see a fire that doesn’t look like it’s being attended to please dial 999.
“If you live in the immediate area, please close doors and windows, and dial 999 if you have concerns about your property.”
You may also want to watch:
South Cambs police tweeted: “Please be aware that due to a fire in the area of #WhaddonRoad, Meldreth there is a risk of smoke blowing across local roads. Please be careful on your journey.”
UPDATE 6pm - Cambs FRS tweeted that the fires were out and crews were dampening down.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 3 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 4 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 9 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton