More than 50 firefighters tackle Meldreth field blazes
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling at least two field fires in Meldreth this afternoon.
Crews from Cambs, Herts, Beds, Suffolk and Essex are at the scene, in the Whaddon Road area of the village.
In the last hour, Cambs Fire and Rescue tweeted: “More than 50 firefighters are currently tackling a fire involving a large area of standing crop on Whaddon Road in Meldreth. Please avoid the area as there are a lot of fire engines at the scene.
“A number of fields have been affected by these fires, if you’re in the area and can see a fire that doesn’t look like it’s being attended to please dial 999.
“If you live in the immediate area, please close doors and windows, and dial 999 if you have concerns about your property.”
You may also want to watch:
South Cambs police tweeted: “Please be aware that due to a fire in the area of #WhaddonRoad, Meldreth there is a risk of smoke blowing across local roads. Please be careful on your journey.”
UPDATE 6pm - Cambs FRS tweeted that the fires were out and crews were dampening down.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 4 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 5 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 8 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 9 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 10 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving