Meldreth father of depression victim ‘overwhelmed’ by response from public after setting up trust in son’s name
- Credit: Archant
A Meldreth father who has set up a charitable trust to help young people with mental illness said he has been ‘overwhelmed’ by the response from the community.
Steve Mallen, father of Edward who took his own life after suffering depression, said within days of setting up The MindEd Trust, many people have come forward with generous donations.
Steve said: “We didn’t take donations initially when Edward died. We wanted to research what to do. Because of that there have been scores of people waiting for an announcement. We have been overwhelmed with contributions and messages of support after setting up the trust.
“Everywhere we go, in Royston or Cambridge, there are people who want to talk to us.
“Sometimes it takes more than an hour to walk down the street. It’s a reflection of the fact that psychological trauma is so common and such a problem that so many people wanted to do something about it.”
You may also want to watch:
Steve said one of the key aims of the charitable trust is prevention.
He said: “When it comes to mental illness and depression, often the only mechanisms of support are charitable organisations, which is not how it should be. Hospitals are used in times of crisis. We want to help the NHS save money.”
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 6 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 7 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 10 Amateur drama society takes online show to Welwyn Festival
The MindEd Trust aims to improve awareness and support for young people through MindEducation programmes in schools across Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.
To donate, visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/themindedtrust.