Meldreth father of depression victim ‘overwhelmed’ by response from public after setting up trust in son’s name
- Credit: Archant
A Meldreth father who has set up a charitable trust to help young people with mental illness said he has been ‘overwhelmed’ by the response from the community.
Steve Mallen, father of Edward who took his own life after suffering depression, said within days of setting up The MindEd Trust, many people have come forward with generous donations.
Steve said: “We didn’t take donations initially when Edward died. We wanted to research what to do. Because of that there have been scores of people waiting for an announcement. We have been overwhelmed with contributions and messages of support after setting up the trust.
“Everywhere we go, in Royston or Cambridge, there are people who want to talk to us.
“Sometimes it takes more than an hour to walk down the street. It’s a reflection of the fact that psychological trauma is so common and such a problem that so many people wanted to do something about it.”
You may also want to watch:
Steve said one of the key aims of the charitable trust is prevention.
He said: “When it comes to mental illness and depression, often the only mechanisms of support are charitable organisations, which is not how it should be. Hospitals are used in times of crisis. We want to help the NHS save money.”
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 8 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
The MindEd Trust aims to improve awareness and support for young people through MindEducation programmes in schools across Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.
To donate, visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/themindedtrust.