Melbourn’s Winter Flower Festival has ‘blossomed into something special’
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn’s fifth biannual Winter Flower Festival made a welcoming respite from the numbness of the bleak winter weather outside.
Villagers created blooming brilliant flower displays at All Saints’ Church at the two day festival over the course of the weekend.
Organiser Rebecca Gatward, who flew over from her US home in Michigan to attend the event, created a fantastic piece of poppy artwork in homage to the First World War Christmas truce.
She said: “We work as a team, and have nurtured the festival until it’s blossomed into something that is now seriously recognised across the area.”
The festival began 10 years and has grown each year, becoming a firm favourite of flower fans.
You may also want to watch:
Visitor Mary Chalk admired Freda Orgee’s display, called In The Bleak Midwinter. She said: “It’s absolutely wonderful, it exudes imagination and talent.”
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 8 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 9 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 10 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?