Melbourn Primary School dads help Royston and South Cambs’ Home-Start to £1,000 cash boost after charity swim
- Credit: Archant
A family support charity covering Royston and South Cambs have been given a cash boost of more than £1,000 after parents of children from two schools took part in their fundraising swimming challenge.
Melbourn Primary School entered an enthusiastic team of three dads – the Melbourn Mako Sharks – into Home-Start’s Schools’ Aquathon held at Royston Leisure Centre last month alongside an opposing South Cambs team of four mums, the Haslingfield Harriers.
The teams swam in aid of the charity and their children schools in a relay swimming as many lengths as they could in 55 minutes.
Richard Crisford who led the Melbourn Mako Sharks said: “This was a fun way of raising money, which involved all the family, while highlighting the importance of keeping fit and healthy and supporting our primary school and a very valuable local charity.
With a fundraising push before and after the swim the Melbourn Mako Sharks raised more than £500 in total for their Parents, Teachers and Friends Association and the same amount for Home-Start, and the Haslingfield Harriers raised more than £720 for their school and the charity.
You may also want to watch:
Jane Pennington and Sarah Mascall from Home-Start, who presented the schools with their cheques on Monday, said: “We’d like to say a huge thank you to both schools for taking part and raising funds for Home-Start.
“The money raised will help us to support local families with children under nine through times of crisis. Children are at the very heart of our work and we have a particular focus on school readiness.”
- 1 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 6 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 7 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 8 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 9 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
“It’s wonderful that schools and Home-Start can come together in events like the Schools’ Aquathon for the benefit of the children. “
“Our thanks also go to Royston Leisure Centre who kindly sponsored our event”.
Home-Start will be running the Schools’ Aquathon again in 2018. If your school is interested in taking part, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
For more information on Home-Start Royston & South Cambs visit www.hsrsc.org.uk, and search @HSRSC1 on Facebook and Twitter.