Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
Anne Suslak and Bianca Wild
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Post Office is reopening in a permanent location from the start of December, after a long wait to restore a full-time service to the village.
The new post office is opening at 1pm on Wednesday, December 1, at Melbourn Stores - 49 High Street.
It will be open daily from 6am to 8pm - offering 98 hours of service per week.
The post office was previously located at 107 High Street, and the new location is approximately 450 metres away from the old branch.
Anthony Bailey, Post Office network provision lead, said: "We are delighted to be restoring a full-time, permanent post office to Melbourn, as we know how important post office services are to a community."
While the post office was closed, Meldreth's One Stop was the closest facility.
This isn't the first time in recent history that the village has been without a post office, there was a previous closure from summer 2004 to spring 2006, when then South Cambs MP Andrew Lansley opened the 107 High Street site back in May that year.
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 Fast and frenetic racing as Cycle Club Ashwell shine at grass track cycling meet
- 6 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 7 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 9 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
Post Office Ltd is welcoming feedback on access to and inside the new premises.
Feedback on the move can be submitted online at postofficeviews.co.uk, with the branch code 114113, until Wednesday, November 17.
Submissions can also be made via email to email@example.com, by post to Freepost 'YOUR COMMENTS', by phoning 03452 66 01 15 or texting 03457 22 33 55.
If you are unable to get to the new village post office due to mobility problems, you may benefit from Melbourn's Mobile Warden Scheme, which serves Melbourn, Meldreth and Shepreth for a small charge.
Errands the scheme can help you with includes going to the post office to pay bills, ordering and collection of prescriptions, basic shopping and collection of pension.
If you live alone, with family or are a couple and need the extra support, contact warden Jeannie Seers on 07808 735066.
The scheme also offers its services for short periods to cover the temporary absence of relatives who otherwise provide this support.