Melbourn man jailed for sexual assaults on children
A MAN has been jailed for a minimum of six-and-a-half years for a string of sexual assaults on children, including attempted rape.
Alan Scorfield of Worcester Way, Melbourn, “deliberately and repeatedly” assaulted four children aged between eight and nine over a period of twelve years.
The perverted 50-year-old had pleaded guilty at Cambridge Crown Court to assault by penetration, attempted rape, two counts of inciting child sexual activity and four counts of sexual assault.
Sentencing on Thursday, Judge Jonathan Howarth said: “It is quite clear that you repeatedly and persistently took opportunities to assault young children.
“The abuse was deliberate and manipulative, and you did it repeatedly. You will be imprisoned for public protection as I am not prepared to take the serious and significant risk to young children.”
You may also want to watch:
Two separate psychiatric reports deemed Scorfield a continuous risk to the public, with one saying there was a “high risk of future sexual offences against young children.”
Defending, Georgina Gibbs told how Scorfield has admitted his sexual interest to children, was a heavy drinker, and was “mildly retarded.”
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Bloomsday group's post-lockdown gathering to celebrate Joyce novel
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
“He has acknowledged for the first time in his life that he has a sexual interest in children, and felt shame and sickness at this,” she said.
“He has an extremely limited IQ, severe dyslexia and is mildly retarded. He has also been a heavy drinker and has had significant health problems.”
Scorfield, who spoke only to confirm his name, will have to register on the sexual offenders register for life, and has five separate prevention orders against him for a period of 15 years.
He was given a sentence of 13 years, of which he must serve at least six-and-a-half.