Melbourn man jailed for sexual assaults on children
A MAN has been jailed for a minimum of six-and-a-half years for a string of sexual assaults on children, including attempted rape.
Alan Scorfield of Worcester Way, Melbourn, “deliberately and repeatedly” assaulted four children aged between eight and nine over a period of twelve years.
The perverted 50-year-old had pleaded guilty at Cambridge Crown Court to assault by penetration, attempted rape, two counts of inciting child sexual activity and four counts of sexual assault.
Sentencing on Thursday, Judge Jonathan Howarth said: “It is quite clear that you repeatedly and persistently took opportunities to assault young children.
“The abuse was deliberate and manipulative, and you did it repeatedly. You will be imprisoned for public protection as I am not prepared to take the serious and significant risk to young children.”
You may also want to watch:
Two separate psychiatric reports deemed Scorfield a continuous risk to the public, with one saying there was a “high risk of future sexual offences against young children.”
Defending, Georgina Gibbs told how Scorfield has admitted his sexual interest to children, was a heavy drinker, and was “mildly retarded.”
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 6 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
“He has acknowledged for the first time in his life that he has a sexual interest in children, and felt shame and sickness at this,” she said.
“He has an extremely limited IQ, severe dyslexia and is mildly retarded. He has also been a heavy drinker and has had significant health problems.”
Scorfield, who spoke only to confirm his name, will have to register on the sexual offenders register for life, and has five separate prevention orders against him for a period of 15 years.
He was given a sentence of 13 years, of which he must serve at least six-and-a-half.