Melbourn man jailed for sexual assaults on children
A MAN has been jailed for a minimum of six-and-a-half years for a string of sexual assaults on children, including attempted rape.
Alan Scorfield of Worcester Way, Melbourn, “deliberately and repeatedly” assaulted four children aged between eight and nine over a period of twelve years.
The perverted 50-year-old had pleaded guilty at Cambridge Crown Court to assault by penetration, attempted rape, two counts of inciting child sexual activity and four counts of sexual assault.
Sentencing on Thursday, Judge Jonathan Howarth said: “It is quite clear that you repeatedly and persistently took opportunities to assault young children.
“The abuse was deliberate and manipulative, and you did it repeatedly. You will be imprisoned for public protection as I am not prepared to take the serious and significant risk to young children.”
You may also want to watch:
Two separate psychiatric reports deemed Scorfield a continuous risk to the public, with one saying there was a “high risk of future sexual offences against young children.”
Defending, Georgina Gibbs told how Scorfield has admitted his sexual interest to children, was a heavy drinker, and was “mildly retarded.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
“He has acknowledged for the first time in his life that he has a sexual interest in children, and felt shame and sickness at this,” she said.
“He has an extremely limited IQ, severe dyslexia and is mildly retarded. He has also been a heavy drinker and has had significant health problems.”
Scorfield, who spoke only to confirm his name, will have to register on the sexual offenders register for life, and has five separate prevention orders against him for a period of 15 years.
He was given a sentence of 13 years, of which he must serve at least six-and-a-half.