Melbourn family is overwhelmed by flood of support in the wake of fire that wrecked home and killed pets
- Credit: Archant
The sister of a Melbourn woman whose house was destroyed by a fire that killed four family pets said the family is ‘overwhelmed’ by the community’s support.
Nicki Montgomery’s life was turned upside down when a blaze broke out on the ground floor of her house in Medcalfe Way last week – destroying almost every item in her home.
As a way of pledging her support for her close friend, Lynn Harrison set up a fundraising page to help get the mum-of-two boys back on track.
She said: “Nicki and I went to school together, and she was my bridesmaid. I set this fundraiser up because I couldn’t imagine ever being in that situation.
“Her pets were her babies. Her kids were so close to the animals. It’s really devastated her. She works at Wyevale Garden Centre and her kids go to school.
“At this time of year you can’t afford to replace everything.
“I’ve managed to fill my car with clothes. Nicki, being quite proud, likes to stand on her own two feet.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 5 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 6 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'
- 9 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
- 10 Parish councillor dies in ‘freak accident’
“It’s been really hard to accept it, but she’s been overwhelmed by the support.”
Lynn originally aimed to raise £500 through the gogetfunding page but, thanks to people’s generosity, the figure now has passed £1,270.
Nicki’s sister Sharon said: “We are so grateful for everything that has been done.
“Seeing the community come together to show support is amazing. Donations from strangers and people we know will change her life.
“I just want to see Nicki and the boys living a normal life and to feel safe again in their own home after this tragedy. We will battle on. We are a very tight family so we will get through.”
Friend Tony Jackson was also deeply saddened to hear the news.
He said: “Nicki is a tough and really strong woman.
“She’s had tough times and just soldiers on.
“She’s also loving, caring and is the best mother in the world to Joshua and Lucas. She does everything for her kids. For this to happen is heartbreaking.”
If you would like to make a donation click here.