Melbourn Dans Le Noir night gives insight into living with sight loss
- Credit: Archant
The chance to experience life without sight proved to be an eye-opener for guests at a charity Dans Le Noir night in Melbourn.
The evening at the Sheene Mill – which saw revellers tuck into a three course meal blindfolded – was arranged by Bassingbourn fundraiser Nick Burr, who himself went blind from cancer on New Year’s Eve back in 2013.
He said: “The night went extremely well, you could tell from the start when everyone was led to their table and then sat down that the blindfolds affected them.
“The noise in the room was heightened as everyone was shouting and adjusting to their new surroundings and their temporary disability.
“Everyone said they had a brilliant night and it was a real eye opening experience for them to see what it is like for me on a daily basis.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank everyone that participated, all the local businesses that donated a raffle prize and the Sheene Mill for helping me host the night.”
The night raised £2,415 for charity, and Nick hopes to raise even further funds when he stages an auction night next Friday, December 4, at The Belle in Bassingbourn.
- 1 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 4 Fundraisers walk, run and roll in month-long charity challenge
- 5 MPs pay tribute following death of Sir David Amess
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 9 Stagecoach bus routes changing due to lack of staff
- 10 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
The money raised will go to Children In Need, Bassingbourn Football Club – who Nick used to play for – and the Cambridge Dons goalball team.