Melbourn-based paramedic spends Christmas tackling Ebola in Sierra Leone
- Credit: Archant
A paramedic based in Melbourn has been spending the Christmas period on Sierra Leone treating Ebola patients
Darrel Singh, who works at the East of England Ambulance Service’s headquarters, is one of more than 70 NHS volunteers who have travelled to the West African country to contain, control and defeat the disease, which has claimed the lives of more than 7,500 people across the continent.
The 48-year-old arrived in the capital of Freetown on December 7 to undergo training in specialist protection suits and has since been treating patients in nearby Kerry Town at a British-funded centre run by charity Save the Children.
Darrel, who was working on Christmas Day, said: “My experience of Kerry Town so far has been a roller coaster ride, but I have seen enormous change already since deploying here.
“It has been very heartening to have a sizeable team of Cuban medical brigade, Sierra Leone Ministry of Health staff, Save the Children staff, British military and NHS England on shift.
You may also want to watch:
“The survivor results have been a real lift and the increase in capacity we have achieved is very satisfying.”
Save the Children chief executive Justin Forsyth said: “Treating and preventing Ebola is difficult and dangerous work, but we are making progress. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to all the workers out there.”
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire