Melbourn road closed after underground explosions
- Credit: Archant
There were several underground explosions in a Melbourn road yesterday evening, which resulted in the area being closed off while emergency services attended.
Police and the fire service were called to the incident in Back Lane at 8.20pm, and the road was closed off for hours afterwards.
A police spokesman said: “We were called at 8.20pm yesterday with reports of a series of underground explosions in Back Lane, Melbourn.
“Officers attended the scene, along with representatives from the Fire and Rescue Service. No injuries were reported as a result of the explosions.
“Significant damage was caused to the road, which was closed.”
You may also want to watch:
“It is believed the explosions were caused as a result of an electrical fault. Representatives from the electricity network have been made aware and engineers have been assigned to deal with the incident.”
At about 1am, Cambs Police tweeted that the road had reopened.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 6 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 7 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 8 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 9 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 10 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns