Mayor to bridge gap with charity
ROYSTON town mayor Cllr Martin Beaver is to get on his walking boots as he readies himself for the final challenge of his tenure.
On May 8, his very last day as mayor, he is to walk across the 11 bridges that cross the River Thames in London in aid of local charity The Garden House Hospice.
Cllr Beaver said: “I was trying to think of a suitable way I could finish my stint as mayor when I saw a sign in the Garden House Hospice advertising the walk.
“It’s a worthy cause for a local charity that helps so many people. It will be a fitting way to bow out.”
Cllr Beaver is currently collecting sponsorship for his walk, setting himself a target of �11,000.
You may also want to watch:
“It would mean a lot to me if people would support me in what might be my final event for a very worthy cause. My aim is to raise as much as I can but if I could raise �11,000 - �1000 a bridge – then I will be a happy man.
If anyone would like to take part in the walk, on which Cllr Beaver will be joined by his wife Caroline and son Stuart, then they can visit www.ghhospice.co.uk and click on Fundraising News.
- 1 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 2 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 6 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 7 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Fabulous Foodies Festival is good to go at Cambridge this summer
- 10 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
Sponsorship forms are available in the Garden House Hospice shop or at the Royston Town Council office.
Cllr Beaver is also looking for companies to have a logo placed on the shirt he will be wearing on the day. Contact the town council offices on 01763 245484 for more details.