Mayor John still taking it in
COUNCILLOR John Noades has been appointed as Buntingford s new mayor. John, 72, of Ermine Court, was elected at Thursday s town council meeting while Buntingford s former mayor Cllr Jean Cook has become deputy mayor. He became a town councillor three year
COUNCILLOR John Noades has been appointed as Buntingford's new mayor.
John, 72, of Ermine Court, was elected at Thursday's town council meeting while Buntingford's former mayor Cllr Jean Cook has become deputy mayor.
He became a town councillor three years ago when he was co-opted.
He said: "It has been something I have always wanted to do. I haven't been on the council for very long so I appreciate the fact that they have made me mayor and I hope I can do a good job like Cllr Cook has done during the past year.
You may also want to watch:
"My mother, who is 92 and from Buckland, said she is very proud."
Cllr Noades said he has not decided on a charity to support for the mayoral year.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
"It's early days," he said. "It hasn't really sunk in that I'm in a position where I will hopefully be able to do something good for the town."
Cllr Noades was a parish councillor for Buckland and Chipping for about 50 years. He worked for Herts County Council as an assistant engineer.