Mayor John still taking it in
COUNCILLOR John Noades has been appointed as Buntingford s new mayor. John, 72, of Ermine Court, was elected at Thursday s town council meeting while Buntingford s former mayor Cllr Jean Cook has become deputy mayor. He became a town councillor three year
COUNCILLOR John Noades has been appointed as Buntingford's new mayor.
John, 72, of Ermine Court, was elected at Thursday's town council meeting while Buntingford's former mayor Cllr Jean Cook has become deputy mayor.
He became a town councillor three years ago when he was co-opted.
He said: "It has been something I have always wanted to do. I haven't been on the council for very long so I appreciate the fact that they have made me mayor and I hope I can do a good job like Cllr Cook has done during the past year.
You may also want to watch:
"My mother, who is 92 and from Buckland, said she is very proud."
Cllr Noades said he has not decided on a charity to support for the mayoral year.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
"It's early days," he said. "It hasn't really sunk in that I'm in a position where I will hopefully be able to do something good for the town."
Cllr Noades was a parish councillor for Buckland and Chipping for about 50 years. He worked for Herts County Council as an assistant engineer.