Marriage proves a merry dance for diamond couple
A DIAMOND couple from Whaddon are celebrating 60 years of marriage today (Thursday). Don and Daphne James of Bridge Street, first met at a dance held in Royston Town Hall. It wasn t love at first sight, I wouldn t take those chances, Don said. Don, 84,
A DIAMOND couple from Whaddon are celebrating 60 years of marriage today (Thursday).
Don and Daphne James of Bridge Street, first met at a dance held in Royston Town Hall.
"It wasn't love at first sight, I wouldn't take those chances," Don said.
Don, 84, and Daphne, 77, socialised in the same group and started dating within a few months of meeting.
They were married at St Mary's Church in Whaddon on August 10, 1946.
Daphne was 21 when they had their first child, and together they have five children, 10 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
"We have always been very close. Although we have had some ups and downs, we have had a good life and believe a good argument is the key to a long marriage," said Don.
Throughout their lives they have been keen ballroom dancers, and now enjoy gardening together.
They said their most memorable times were having their five children.
One of their grandchildren, Scott James, 13, said: "It's nice that they are still together after all these years. Hopefully my marriage will last just as long when I'm older."
Don and Daphne, who were born in Royston and Whaddon, will be celebrating their anniversary with family and friends on Saturday.