Market's future depends on talks
THE future of Royston Market is still to be decided. But members of Royston Town Council s finance committee discussed the situation during a behind-closed-doors meeting on Monday evening. A joint bid by the town council and the Royston Town Centre Forum
THE future of Royston Market is still to be decided.
But members of Royston Town Council's finance committee discussed the situation during a behind-closed-doors meeting on Monday evening.
A joint bid by the town council and the Royston Town Centre Forum to run the market was submitted to North Herts District Council.
Now the district council has said that it sees the joint application as the "preferred bidder" in its attempts to "privatise" the running of the market.
The district council was looking for a new market operator to be set up in June, but this has now been delayed for a month while negotiations continue.
Meanwhile, Cabinet members on the district council have called for a complete breakdown of the running costs of the market.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 5 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 6 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 7 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 9 Missing woman from Royston found
- 10 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate