Marathon man David ready for challenge
A DEPUTY head teacher has begun training for his first Flora London Marathon. David Atkins, of The Meridian School, Royston, has been contemplating the challenge for the past five years and is finally taking the plunge in April. It s such a special event
A DEPUTY head teacher has begun training for his first Flora London Marathon.
David Atkins, of The Meridian School, Royston, has been contemplating the challenge for the past five years and is finally taking the plunge in April.
"It's such a special event," he said. "I have had family and friends take part in previous years and the atmosphere has been great."
Mr Atkins will be raising funds for a charity which is close to his heart - St Elizabeth's School and Home in Much Hadham.
It provides care, support and education to people suffering from epilepsy and associated disabilities, and is home to his sister-in-law.
Mr Atkins has been training five hours a week, and hopes to complete the course in under four hours.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
He said: "Seventeen miles is the longest I've run, so it depends on how well my knees hold out!
"The most satisfying and rewarding part will be crossing the finishing line."
Anyone who would like to sponsor David should e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit: www.stelizabeths.org.uk