Manhunt after sex attack
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt. Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street. Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt.
Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street.
Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club at 1am on Sunday - the incident is believed to have taken place between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.
A dozen officers were called to the scene and quickly cordoned off the road as investigations got underway.
You may also want to watch:
The area was secured until midday on Sunday.
The woman in her 20s, from Royston, has been interviewed by police.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
Details of the attacker have yet to be released, but a police spokeswoman confirmed that they were seeking a lone male.
The police spokeswoman said: "We are treating the incident seriously.
"We have received serious allegations and our detectives and crime units are dealing with the case thoroughly."
An employee at The Manor House Social Club said: "It's clear that a serious incident took place near the grounds at the weekend.
"You couldn't move around here on Sunday, because the police were everywhere."
The police spokeswoman added: "The case is ongoing and we are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time. We urge any witnesses to come forward."
- Anyone with information regarding the attack should call Hertfordshire police on 0845 3300 222.