Manhunt after sex attack
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt. Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street. Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt.
Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street.
Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club at 1am on Sunday - the incident is believed to have taken place between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.
A dozen officers were called to the scene and quickly cordoned off the road as investigations got underway.
You may also want to watch:
The area was secured until midday on Sunday.
The woman in her 20s, from Royston, has been interviewed by police.
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 6 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 7 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 8 Robot assists with cancer operations at Lister Hospital
- 9 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 10 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
Details of the attacker have yet to be released, but a police spokeswoman confirmed that they were seeking a lone male.
The police spokeswoman said: "We are treating the incident seriously.
"We have received serious allegations and our detectives and crime units are dealing with the case thoroughly."
An employee at The Manor House Social Club said: "It's clear that a serious incident took place near the grounds at the weekend.
"You couldn't move around here on Sunday, because the police were everywhere."
The police spokeswoman added: "The case is ongoing and we are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time. We urge any witnesses to come forward."
- Anyone with information regarding the attack should call Hertfordshire police on 0845 3300 222.