Manhunt after sex attack
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt. Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street. Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club
A young woman was sexually assaulted in Royston at the weekend, sparking a police manhunt.
Detectives are investigating the attack, which happened near The Manor House in Melbourn Street.
Police were called to the car park of the Manor House Social Club at 1am on Sunday - the incident is believed to have taken place between 11pm on Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.
A dozen officers were called to the scene and quickly cordoned off the road as investigations got underway.
You may also want to watch:
The area was secured until midday on Sunday.
The woman in her 20s, from Royston, has been interviewed by police.
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
Details of the attacker have yet to be released, but a police spokeswoman confirmed that they were seeking a lone male.
The police spokeswoman said: "We are treating the incident seriously.
"We have received serious allegations and our detectives and crime units are dealing with the case thoroughly."
An employee at The Manor House Social Club said: "It's clear that a serious incident took place near the grounds at the weekend.
"You couldn't move around here on Sunday, because the police were everywhere."
The police spokeswoman added: "The case is ongoing and we are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time. We urge any witnesses to come forward."
- Anyone with information regarding the attack should call Hertfordshire police on 0845 3300 222.