Man in critical condition after sustaining head injuries in an assault in Royston
A MAN is in a critical condition in hospital after being assaulted in Royston. The 24-year old, who comes from the town, was attacked in the early hours of Sunday on Newmarket Road, and sustained a broken jaw and serious head injuries. He was initially ta
A MAN is in a critical condition in hospital after being assaulted in Royston.
The 24-year old, who comes from the town, was attacked in the early hours of Sunday on Newmarket Road, and sustained a broken jaw and serious head injuries.
He was initially taken to the Lister hospital in Stevenage, but was subsequently transferred to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, London, which is a specialist facility for dealing with head injuries.
Police said today that his condition is critical, but not thought to be life-threatening.
You may also want to watch:
The attack took place between 1.30am - 2am on Sunday morning, near the old Priory cinema site.
It is believed that there was verbal altercation between the victim and three other men, believed to be in their 20's. Following this, the victim fell to the ground, sustaining his injuries.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Detective constable Laura Talbot, from Hertfordshire Police, is investigating the incident.
She said: We are appealing for anyone who has any information about this incident or anyone who witnesses the altercation take place to come forward.
"If you can help, please call the non-emergency number on 0845 33 00 222 quoting crime reference G4/10/64. Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, quoting the same reference. All calls will be treated in the strictest confidence," she said.
*A 24-year old man from Royston has been arrested in connection with this offence and is currently on police bail.